This tool is also commonly called a fishbone diagram after its shape, or PEM PEM after the most popular categories.
These categories are:
- People (internal or external staff)
- Environment (poor lighting, excessive steam or acts of god)
- Method (work instructions, procedures, specifications)
- Plant (manufacturing vessels – ovens, mixers, services etc)
- Equipment (Test pieces and ancillary devices)
- Materials (ingredients, packaging or the product itself)
Click on the diagram to see it expand.
Human factors decision tree
For the people elements of the study, certain considerations and factors will need to be analysed. These are summarised in this decision tree. Click on it to see a larger version.